Thursday, November 5, 2015

Spirited Away (2001)

I recently asked my good friend, Susie, which movie she thinks more people should watch and she suggested the delightful Studio Ghibli masterpiece, Spirited Away. 

Running Time: 124 minutes (of the greatest animation you will ever see)

Directed by: Hayao Miyazaki

Voice Cast: Rumi Hiiragi
Miyu Irino
Mari Natsuki

Plot: "During her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and spirits, and where humans are changed into beasts." - IMDB



How I discovered it:  My friends in college.  All I knew going into this film was that it was by the same creators as Princess Mononoke (one of my three favorite works of animation).  While this one didn't grab me quite as much (it's more like my seventh favorite work of animation) it is still universally considered one of the greatest films to come out in our lifetimes.

Time Out London ranked it at #2 on its 100 Best Animated Movies list.  On Empires 100 Best Films of World Cinema list, it made #10.

Take that La Dolce Vita (aka #11)

My Memorable Moment: The part that has always stood out to me is when ten-year-old Chihiro's parents are turned into pigs and she first stumbles into the bathhouse of the spirits and the gods.  There is more imagination in this ten minute sequence than there is in an entire summer of Hollywood Blockbusters.   

My friend, Susie, does not have a blog of her own so I asked her if there was a charity whose website she wanted me to put up here.  She requested Barcs (Baltimore Animal Rescue & Care Shelter) which is where she adopted her two perfect cats.

Susie's Thoughts:  I loved Spirited Away because it reminded me of a beautiful and vivid dream. The story progressed like dreams do - odd and strange bits combining, making sense somehow. The main character, Chihiro, meets some strange and delightful characters, with names like Haku, No Face and the Radish Spirit. She goes on quite an adventure you have to see to believe! Perhaps the best part is the animation and background art. It is beyond compare. I recommend seeing this film - it will leave an impression on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment