Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Two Penny Saga: Mary's Strange Addiction


 My friend Tamanya suggested this first line to me.  I wrote for five minutes.  This is what I got.  (If any of you have any more suggestions for prompts please let me know.) 

 She knew she shouldn't have eaten that much glitter. But she had no idea it would turn out like this.

Adam said he taught third grade so Mary figured that was why he had a bag of rainbow glitter lying under the table on his back patio.  Mary grabbed the bag, scooped out a glob of the glitter and smeared it on her tongue.

“I hope you like red wine!”  Adam called from the kitchen. 

Mary dropped the bag under the table and turned.  Adam strode from the kitchen with that perfect smile of his.  He was the first legitimately nice guy she had ever met and-

Mary started to rise up off the picnic table.

“Shit!”  She grabbed onto the table and pulled herself down. 

“Mary!”  Adam shouted.  “Did you eat my fairy dust?”

“I thought it was glitter!” 

“Why would you eat it if you thought it was glitter?”

“I-.”  Mary stared at the deck.  “I have a problem.  Ever since I was four I’ve had this compulsive urge to eat glitter.  No one else knows about it.  You must think I’m a freak.”

“No!”  Adam sat down on the bench and took her hands.  “You’re not a freak!  I wish you’d told me about this sooner but I still love you!”

“You do!”  The happy thought shot Mary into the air.  She was a mile above the earth before she realized that she needed to suppress her happy thoughts.  “Grandma’s funeral!” she shouted.  “My parent’s divorce!  Putting down Scruffy my dog!” 

She dropped out of the sky like an anvil. 

“Adam Loves me!”  She rocketed up again.  “Putting down Scruffy!”  She started to drop. 

She went back and forth shouting “Adam Loves me….Putting down Scruffy….Adam loves me….Putting down Scruffy….” All they way down to the earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment