Sunday, January 8, 2012

Two Penny Saga: SURPRISE!


My friend, Chris, suggested this first line to me.  I wrote for five minutes.  This is what I got.  (If any of you have any more suggestions for prompts please let me know.) 


I learned on Tuesday just how vehemently my daughter hated butterflies.

June had broken up with her boyfriend, Ryan, the night before, but I had a surefire way to cheer her up. 

She was sound asleep when I crept up to her bed at seven in the morning and whispered, “Juuune!  It’s time to wake up!” 

My daughter stirred and mumbled something between snores.

“Open your eyes!  I have a surprise for you.”

June groaned and lifted her head.  Her eyes bolted open and her mouth dropped when she saw that I had filled her room with four thousand butterflies. 

“Do you like them?”  I asked, grinning.  “I thought they’d cheer you up!”

June pulled up her legs as a cluster of butterflies flew away.  “Mom!  This is weird!  What the hell is going on?”

My face dropped.  “You don’t like this?  I thought most girls loved butterflies.”

“Thank God you didn’t think I loved horses!  Get them out of here!”

“Well, here’s the thing.  I paid for these butterflies until noon so-.”

“Mom!  This is totally weird!  Get them out of my room!”

“Okay!  You don’t have to shout!”  I grabbed the net and began catching the butterflies so I could shove them back into the crate.  I didn’t know what I was going to do with them until noon.  Maybe I should take them over to Ryan’s house and try to cheer him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment