Thursday, October 25, 2012

Two Penny Saga: Crashing into Reality


Thank you to Geoff for suggesting this opening.  I went with it and this is the story I got. (I might have to revisit this town in future stories.)


Jacky always sang to her plants in the morning while getting ready for work. She felt it was a soothing way to start her day. But then one morning John fell through the ceiling and she knew she would have to stop.

“Not again!”  Jacky moaned at the man crushing half the tulips in her tiny greenhouse.  She dropped the watering can and walked into the kitchen.  “I suppose you will be wanting breakfast.”

“What happened?”  The man sat up and rolled off the pots.  “What am I?”

“You’re a song.”  Jacky returned with a cup of tea.  “This used to happen all the time I’d be singing a song or telling a story and then it would become a person and fall from the sky.”

“I’m a song?”

“Half the people in this town are songs or stories.  My next door neighbor is a little song I sang about the ducks in the pond.  The mayor is this tale I’d tell the other kids about a big harry man who lived in the back of my closet.”

“What am I about?”

“Snails.”

“Snails?”

“I was singing a song to my flowers about snails and down you came.”  She thrust the broom into John’s hands. “Welcome to the world, John.  You can start off your life by sweeping up this mess.”

No comments:

Post a Comment