Thursday, October 11, 2012

Two Penny Saga: Not Appropriate for School


My cousin Karen suggested this opening line to me.  I wrote for 5 minutes and this is what I got.  


Mr. Barron returned to his classroom after break ready to dispense some "Schoolhouse Justice."

He burst into the classroom and every student there knew someone was in trouble.

“Who did it?”  He snapped.  “I know one of you is responsible for turning Coach Gavins into a zombie!”

There were snickers all around the room.

“Well?”  Mr. Barron demanded.  They all shut their mouths and looked at their desks.  Mr. Barron walked down the aisle.  “I suppose he turned into a zombie on his own.  Is that it?”

Timmy glanced over at Dylan Jones in the back of the class. 

Mr. Barron turned on Dylan.  “Turn out your pockets.”

“But Mr. Barron-.”

“DO IT!” 

Dylan sighed, reached into his pocket and pulled out a gold necklace with a black glass skull for a pendant. 

Mr. Barron snatched it out of his hand.  “And what exactly is a Necromancer Stone doing in my classroom?” 

“I was holding onto it for a friend and….I forgot it was there!”

“Really?  Just like how you forgot that you had an Urn of Eternity in your locker last week?” 

The classroom snickered.

“Oh you all think this is funny do you?  Well I’ll tell you what isn’t funny!  Right now Coach Gavins is devouring the brains of the sixth grade softball team!”  He pointed at Dylan.  “I want to see ‘I will not reanimate the dead’ a hundred times on the board by the end of the day.  The rest of you open your books to where we left off.”  Mr. Barron walked back up to his desk.  “Now, who can tell me, the significance of the presents Boo Radley leaves in the tree?”

No comments:

Post a Comment